Skip to main content

Low End Movements

Article
Alexander

Sometimes writing a regular blog can become tiresome, so this month I have enrolled some help. This could be a complete disaster...

This months Low End Movements comes with a twist. Having suffered from a mix of laziness and writers block, I have had to work out what would inspire me to write this latest installment. I decided it might be funny to ask my girlfriend what she thought of the music I have chosen to review. Maybe next month I can get my mum involved?

Hazard – Bricks Don’t Roll EP [Playaz Recording]

He said:

Playaz’s number one asset strikes again with a heavyweight offering, spilt between 4 tracks. Outstanding dance-floor drum & bass done right. Sonically powerful but still balanced. There are lots of artists outside of the jump up scene who talk highly of Hazard’s productions and this is why. “Death Sport” is my favourite here.

She said:

I really like this because it brings back two memories:

(1) Tragic but fun times at Bristol’s Native club back in my University days. Sweaty students, too many trigger happy rewinds. But most importantly, meeting some amazing friends for life (shout out to Gen and Claire);
(2) When I started going to harder nights like Agro and Dissident. I especially like “Death Sport”, it makes me think about dragging my friend Charlie to tech nights, although in return she did make me go to happy hardcore and psy-trance raves!

Faded – Collaboration LP [Faded Music]

He said:

Fade and his Faded Music imprint has been on Organic’s radar for a while and we thought it was about time we featured his music. What better opportunity than his latest “Collaboration LP”? Rolling drum & bass is the flavour of the day here, be it techy, liquid or deep. Fade brings in a host of co-producers spanning the range of his own style from Nitri to Meth to NotioN. Check the audio!

She said:

Recently I saw a Fade show in Istanbul while on holiday with an old school friend (her first ever drum & bass night!) at the city’s underground music spot Pixie Underground. Much like the extended DJ set I saw from Fade, the album is a real mix of styles that matches his set. Fade and his beautiful wife were lovely. Also I managed to pour my whole drink on a bunch of girls by accident. Whoops!

Various - Subtle Audio Vol III [Subtle Audio]

He said:

The third installent in the series, Subtle Audio Vol III does not disappoint. Drum heavy, psychadelic and far flung from the contemporary, the LP exhibits the outer limits of what is being made behind closed doors around the world. A mix of known offenders like Equinox, Relapse, Nebula, Dgohn, through to newer cohorts like Aroma Nice, Brad Impact and Ibunshi. Subtle Audio Vol III comes highly recommended with ridiculous break manipulation, ice cold pads and even some David Icke samples.

She said:

I’m sure this is not bad, but I have to aversion to anything where people say “maaaan, it’s all about the drums”. This makes me think of the combo of one dreads, stinky B.O. and walking boots.

Tokyo Prose – Presence [Samurai Music]

He said:

“Presence” is the album that liquid drum & bass has been waiting for since the first hearing of Tokyo Prose’s arrival with “Saving Grace”. Since that initial hit, the duo has now become a solo act and solidified their place within the genre with a string of singles. Sticking it out with Geoff Presha’s Samurai Music label, “Presence” drops just in time for the height of summer. If you haven’t already, check it out.

She said:

This is very “Sun & Bass”. This year I’ve managed to get Alex to come… This reminds me of beaches, people dancing and parties under the Sardinian moonlight. Hopefully the other half can refrain from being a grumpy git for 7 days of the year!

Agree with my selections this month? Anything I've missed, or anything that I should be checking out for next? Get in touch via info@organicbeats.co.uk or hit me at @organicbeats on Twitter.